The Five Deterrents to Concentration
Having the full teachings and instructions for shamatha refers primarily to having detailed teachings on the five deterrents to concentration and the eight composing mental factors for overcoming them. Maitreya delineated these deterrents and factors in Differentiating the Middle from the Extremes.
The five deterrents to concentration are:
1. Laziness, of three types:
2. Forgetting the guideline instructions or losing the object of focus.
3. Interruptions due to mental flightiness or mental dullness.
4. Not applying opponents to them.
5. Not stopping applying opponents when they are no longer necessary.